UNDER CONSTRUCTION :)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

be of good cheer

Today, in sunday school we talked about Matthew chapter 14.

25. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, say
ing, it is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, sayuing, be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28. And Peter answer him and said, Lord, if it be thoug, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29. And he said, come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
Inserted right there in the pages that contain these verses is a "glue in", a piece of paper I was given by one of my seminary teachers back in high school.  It says:


"While [Peter's] eye was fixed on his Lord, the wind might toss his hair, and the spray might drench his robes, but all was well'. Only when with wavering faith he removed his glance from the Master to look at the furious waves and the black gulf beneath him, only then did he begin to sink...

"It is my firm belief that if as individual people, as families, communities, and nations, we could, like Peter, fix our eyes on Jesus, we too might walk triumphantly over the swelling waves of disbelief and remain unterrified amid the rising winds of doubt. But if we turn away our eyes from him in whom we must believe, as it is so easy to do and the world is so much tempted to do, if we look to the power and fury of those terrible and destructive elements around us rather than to him who can help and save us, then we shall inevitably sink in a sea of conflict and sorrow and despair"

I don't know who said it, but it was in a Conference talk in October of 1992.  I can truly testify that when we are fixed and focused on the Savior we cannot and will not sink. Those times in my life when I have been focusing the most on my Savior Jesus Christ I know I cannot fail.  He is there to comfort me and help me up.  Christ said, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid".  This brings me comfort because I know that I don't need to be afraid when I am focused on Him.  He is there to help me in every aspect of my life.  When Peter cried out and said "Lord, save me."  Christ immediately stretches forth His hand and caught him.  The same applies to me and you.  When we cry unto the Lord to save us, He will immediately stretch forth His hand and catch us.

I am so grateful that I have an older brother and Savior who is willing to help me and love me unconditionally. No strings attached.

1 comment:

angela hardison said...

thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.

loved this post. that chapter in matthew is one of my favorites, and that quote is perfect! needed to hear this tonight.